- Ph.D. (Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 1991
- M. Tech. (Automation & Control Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 1985
- B.E. (Electronics & Communication Engineering) with distinction (II Rank), Gulbarga University, 1983.
- Cyber Defence
- Digital Forensics
- Cyber Security
- Cyber Forensics
- System Security
- Computer Networks
- Over 25 years of Industrial R&D Experience in Biometrics and other areas
- Worked at the Research & Development Centre, CMC Ltd. for over 22 years
- Worked as Scientist at National University of Singapore for 3 years (1992-95)
- Was a visiting Scholar at Michigan State University, USA (1990)
- Held academic positions at the IIIT Hyderabad (adjunct faculty, 2000-01).
Executive Education offered in the areas of:
- Cyber Security
- Digital Forensics
- Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing
- Malware Analysis
Research Grants Received
- Technologies for e-Commerce, 1997-2001, Rs. 7.5 Crores from DeitY, Government of India
- Development of Electronic Copyright Management System, 1998-2001, Rs. 85 Lakh from DeitY, Government of India.
- Hiran Viswanath, and B M Mehtre. "A System and method for Detection and Prevention of Data Breach and Ransomware Attacks." United States Patent No.: US 10,262,139 B2, Date of Patent: Apr. 16, 2019
- Hiran Viswanath, and B M Mehtre. "System and method for zero-day privilege escalation malware detection." United States Patent No.: US 9,959,406 B2, Date of Patent: May 1, 2018
- Narottam Das Patel, Cloud Computing, University of Hyderabad. In Progress since 2017
- Malvika Singh, Behavioural Research in Cyber Security, National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli. In progress since 2017
- Yaswanth Gavini, Intermodal face Recognition (Jointly with Prof Arun Agarwal, University of Hyderabad)
- N Anand, Cyber Security (Jointly with Prof Arun Agarwal, University of Hyderabad )
- Hiran V. Nath, Novel Approaches to Surveillance of Advanced Persistent Threats, Oct 2017
- Ghanshyam S Bopche, Attack Graph based Approach to Network Security Hardening, Jan 2018
- Manu V T, Image Tamper Detection Techniques for Social Media, Submission, June 2018
- K Sitara, Video and camera tampering detection techniques for securing video surveillance systems, submission June 2018
- His seminal work on fingerprint identification led to the development of the first automated fingerprint identification system in India, which was later deployed in many state police departments in India and some countries outside India
- Best Paper Award at the ICCIC 2014 Conference in the area of Cyber Defense
- Best Paper Award at the ICCIC 2013 Conference in the area of Cyber Defense
- Associate Editor, Pattern Recognition Journal, USA (only member from India)
- Outstanding Contribution Award 2007, CMC Limited
- Outstanding Creativity Award – 2004, CMC Limited
- Gold Project Award – 2004, CMC Limited
- Fellow, Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India)
- Best Paper Awards for the work on Automated Fingerprint Identification (Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India), 1991, 1989, 1988, 1987
- KS Krishnan Memorial Award 1986 for Best System Oriented Paper (based on M.Tech. Thesis)
- Google Scholar Citations 3000+
- Research Papers in refereed journals
- • K. Sitara, B.M. Mehtre; Differentiating Synthetic and Optical Zooming for Passive Video Forgery Detection: An Anti-Forensic Perspective; Digital Investigation, Elsevier; Volume 30, September 2019, Pages 1-11, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diin.2019.05.001.
- • V T Manu, BM Mehtre; Tamper detection of social media images using quality artifacts and texture features; Forensic Science International, Elsevier, Volume 295, February 2019, Pages 100-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2018.11.025.
- • K. Sitara, B. M. Mehtre; Detection of Inter-Frame Forgeries in Digital Videos; Forensic Science International, Elsevier; Volume 289, pages 186-206, Aug 2018; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2018.04.056
- • K. Sitara, B.M. Mehtre; Automated Camera Sabotage Detection for Enhancing Video Surveillance Systems; Multimedia Tools and Applications, Elsevier; Pages 1-23, 01 June 2018; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-018-6165-4.
- • V T Manu, BM Mehtre; Copy-move tampering detection using aﬃne transformation property preservation on clustered key points; Signal, Image and Video Processing, Springer, Volume 12, Issue 3, pp 549–556, Mar 2018; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11760-017-1191-7.
- • Ghanshyam S. Bopche, B M Mehtre; Graph Similarity Metrics for Assessing Temporal Changes in Attack Surface of Dynamic Networks; Computers & Security, Elsevier, Volume 64, pages 16-43, January 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2016.09.010.
- • K Sitara, BM Mehtre, Digital Video Tampering Detection: An Overview of Passive Techniques, Digital Investigation, Elsevier; Volume 18, pp 8-22, Sept 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.diin.2016.06.003.
- Hiran V Nath, Babu M. Mehtre, "Analysis of a Multistage Attack Embedded in a Video File", Information Systems Frontiers, Springer, June 2015; https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10796-015-9570-5.
- Sugandh Shah, and B.M. Mehtre, "An Overview of Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing Techniques", Journal of Computer Virology and Hacking Techniques, Springer. February 2015, Volume 11, Issue 1, pp 27–49; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11416-014-0231-x.
- Malvika Singh, Babu Mehtre, Sangeetha S; User Behavior Profiling using Ensemble approach for Insider Threat detection; 5th IEEE International Conference on Identity, Security, and Behavior Analysis (ISBA 2019), Jan 2019, IDRBT, Hyderabad.
- Yaswanth Gavini, Babu M Mehtre, Arun Agarwal; Thermal to Visual Face Recognition using Transfer Learning; 5th IEEE International Conference on Identity, Security, and Behavior Analysis (ISBA 2019), Jan 2019, IDRBT, Hyderabad.
- Ghanshyam S. Bopche, Gopal N. Rai, B. M. Mehtre and G.R. Gangadharan; Modeling and Analyzing Multistage Attacks Using Recursive Composition Algebra; 14th International Conference on Information Systems Security (ICISS 2018), IISc Bangalore, Dec 2018.
- P. Saravanan; BM Mehtre; A Novel Approach to detect Hardware Malware using Hamming Weight Model and One Class Support Vector Machine; 22nd International Symposium on VLSI Design and Test (VDAT2018); June2018 Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai, Tamilnadu, India
- Tarun Trivedi, Vinod Parihar, Manas Khatua and B. M. Mehtre; Threat Intelligence Analysis of Onion Websites Using Sublinks and Keywords; Proc. Emerging Technologies in Data Mining and Information Security, Ed. Ajith Abraham, Paramartha Dutta, Jyotsna Kumar, Mandal Abhishek, Bhattacharya · Soumi Dutta; Proceedings of IEMIS 2018, Volume 3 Springer.
- Ghanshyam Bopche, B. M. Mehtre; Inter-Path Diversity Metrics forIncreasing Network Robustness Against Zero-Day Attacks; 6th International Symposium on Security in Computing and Communication (SSCC-2018), Sept 2018, Bangalore, India. (Adjudged as the Best Paper)
- Manu V. T., B. M. Mehtre, "Detection of Copy-Move Forgery in Images using Segmentation and SURF", 2nd International Symposium on Signal Processing and Intelligent Recognition Systems, December 16–19 2015, IITMK Trivandrum, India
- Sitara K., B. M. Mehtre, "Real-Time Automatic Camera Sabotage Detection for Surveillance Systems", 2nd International Symposium on Signal Processing and Intelligent Recognition Systems, December 16–19 2015, IITMK Trivandrum, India
- Hiran V Nath, B. M. Mehtre, "Ensemble Learning for Detection of Malicious Content Embedded in PDF Documents", IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Informatics, Communication and Energy Systems 2015 (IEEE SPICES), February 19-21 2015, National Institute of Technology, Calicut (NITC), Kerala, India
- Jai Narayan Goel, BM Mehtre, "Dynamic IPv6 Activation based Defense for IPv6 Router Advertisement Flooding (DOS) Attack", 5th IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research (ICCIC), December 18-20 2014, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu - The Best Paper, Track 3
- Ghanshyam Bopche and B. M. Mehtre, "Exploiting Domination in Attack Graph for Enterprise Network Hardening", 3rd International Symposium on Security in Computing and Communications (SSCC'15), August 10-13 2015, Kochi, Kerala, India.
Back to Faculty Page