- Obtained Ph.D. and Master’s Degrees from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, India in 1994 & 1987 respectively.
- Obtained Bachelor’s Degree with Honours from the University of Calcutta, Kolkata in 1985.
- Operations Research; Multi-Objective Fuzzy Optimization and Fuzzy Control; Security and Access Control Models; Network Optimization, Mobile Computing and Quality of Service; Mobile Payments; Mobile Governance; Wireless Sensor & IoT Applications, Financial Engineering; Asset Liability Management; Portfolio Optimization.
||M. Tech., M. Sc., & MCA
||PGDBT & B. Tech.
- Mobile Computing and Mobile Payment Security
- Mobile Security
- Software Engineering
- Soft Computing in Finance
- Quantitative Techniques in Finance
- Fuzzy Logic and Fuzzy Programming
- Optimization Techniques - I, II, III
- Computer Networks
- Computer Oriented Optimization Methods
- System Modelling and Computer Simulation
- Numerical Methods
- Multiple Criteria Decision Making
- Dynamic Optimization and Control Systems
- Mobile Computing and Social Media
- Financial Management and Risk Models
- Engg. Mathematics -I,II, III
- Numerical Techniques
- Operations Research
- Professor at IDRBT, since 2011
- Associate Professor at IDRBT from 2005-2010
- Assistant Professor at IDRBT from 1999-2005
- Senior Lecturer at NIT, Trichy, 1998-99
- Lecturer at NIT, Trichy, 1993-98
- Senior Research Fellow (CSIR) at IIT, Kharagpur, 1990-92
- Junior Research Fellow (CSIR) at IIT, Kharagpur, 1987-90.
Executive Education offered in the areas of:
- Mobile Banking, Mobile Payments and Mobile Wallets
- Mobile Cloud Computing and Mobile Governance
- Mobile Services and Security
- Mobile Application Development and Security Testing
- Wireless, NFC, Sensor and IoT Technologies
- Financial Risk Models, ALM and Portfolio Optimization
- Mobile Governance Standard Development,2014-16, Rs.10 Lakhs from DeitY, Government of India.
- Mr.V. Manoj Kumar, Quality of Service and Security Aspects in Mobile Governance, National Institute of Technology, (Dept. of CA, NIT), Tiruchirapalli. In Progress since 2016
- Mr.Dorsala Mallikarjun Reddy, Mobile Computing and Security through Blockchains in Mobile Payments, National Institute of Technology, (Dept. of CSE, NIT), Warangal. In Progress since 2015
- Mr.Sriramulu Bojjagani, Formal Methods based Mobile Payments Security and Testing, University of Hyderabad, (SCIS-UoH), Hyderabad. In Progress since 2013
- Anup Kumar Mourya, User Authentication and Key Establishment in Wireless Sensor Networks for Banks, University of Hyderabad, Enrolled in 2013
- Nenavath Srinivas Naik, Scheduling Approaches to enhance Map-Reduce Performance in Heterogeneous Networks, University of Hyderabad, Submitting Thesis in 2016
- Mr.Anup Kumar Mourya, User Authentication and Key Establishment in Wireless Sensor Networks for Banks, University of Hyderabad, (SCIS-UoH), Hyderabad. In Progress since 2013
- Mr.V. Madhusudan Rao, Feature Selection and Dimensionality Reduction Methods, Osmania University, (Dept. of CSE-OU), Hyderabad. To be Submitted in 2018
- Dr.Nenavath Srinivas Naik, Scheduling Approaches to enhance Map-Reduce Performance in Heterogeneous Networks, University of Hyderabad, (SCIS-UoH), Awarded in 2017
- Dr.Akther Mohiuddin Rather, Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms based Approach for Stock Prediction and Portfolio Selection, University of Hyderabad, (SCIS-UoH). Awarded in 2016
- Dr.Sheikh Shakeel Ahamad, Design of Protocols for Secure Mobile Payments and their Formal Verification, University of Hyderabad, (SCIS-UoH), Awarded in 2014
- Dr.A.Kavitha, Efficient Approaches to Mutual Authentication and Key Agreement Protocols in Wireless Communication Networks, University of Hyderabad, (SCIS-UoH), Hyderabad. Awarded in 2013
- Dr.G.Geetha Kumari, Grid Computing Security through Access Control Modelling, University of Hyderabad, (SCIS-UoH), Hyderabad. Awarded in 2010
- Dr.Madhubala Kadavayar, Fuzzy and Neuro-Fuzzy Control Techniques for Liquid Level Control in a Conical Tank, National Institute of Technology, Bharathidasan University, (Dept. of Phy. NIT). Tiruchirappalli. Awarded in 2004
- Dr.S. Ismail Mohiuddin, Some New Algorithms for Multiple Objective Shortest Path Problems, National Institute of Technology, Bharathidasan University (Dept. of MCA., NIT), Tiruchirappalli Awarded in 2004.
- Received CSIR Individual Fellowship Award
- Best Teacher Award
- Youngest Researcher Award in Conference
- Founded the Mobile Payment Forum of India (MPFI)
- Founded the Mobile Banking Security Lab (MBSL) & Centre for Mobile Banking (CMB), IDRBT
- Chaired the Expert Committee on Mobile Governance, MEITY, GoI and Submitted the Report - “Mobile Governance Standard”
- Chaired the Technical Advisory Group (TAG), DCIM, RBI
- Published over 80 Research Papers in Reputed International Journals, Conferences & Books.
- Guided over 100 Post Graduate and Graduate Students Projects.
- Coordinated various Academic Programmes & Administrative Responsibilities (Ph.D., M.Tech., Admissions, Library, Recruitment, Collaboration etc.)
- Standard Bodies
- IEEE Society
- ACM Society
- Recent Programme Committees
- Chaired Sessions in Various Conferences: ICISS, IC-MCDM, INC, ACODS, FANCCO, MIWAI etc.
- Chairman, Expert Committee on Mobile Governance Standard, MEITY, GoI
- Technical Member of the Sub-Group on Cyber Security for Mobile Banking, RBI
- PRSG member of several projects of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) & Ministry of Finance (MoF), Govt. of India.
- Member of Board of Studies in Computer Science at Central University of Hyderabad, Osmania University-Hyderabad, JNTU-Hyderabad, Madras University and NIT, Trichy
- Reviewer of Several International Journals (such as JOTA, EJOR, MR) and International Conferences (such as ICDCIT, ICIT, IICAI)
- Ph. D. Examiner of Several Universities and Institutions such as IIT-Bombay, IIT-Madras, Jadavpur University, Bharathidasan University, Karaikudi University, etc.
- Technical Consultant to Banks and Technical Expert in several committees of RBI
- Delivered over 100 invited lectures in several Institutions in India (including top 5 IITs) and Abroad (University of California - Berkeley, Georgia Institute of Technology-Atlanta, Florida International University-Miami, University of Marietta-Atlanta, University of Albany, Drexel University, George Mason University, University of Virginia in USA; University of Plymouth-UK; University of Lavel at Quebec- Canada; University of Melbourne-Australia; Singapore, South Africa, Brazil, etc.)
- Executive Secretary of the Mobile Payment Forum of India (MPFI) since 2007 till date.
- Nenavath Srinivas Naik, Atul Negi, and V. N. Sastry, "Improving Straggler Task Performance in Heterogeneous MapReduce Framework Using Reinforcement Learning", International Journal of Big Data Intelligence (IJBDI), (Accepted & Appearing in 2018)
- A. M. Rather, V.N.Sastry and A.Agarwal, "Stock Market Prediction and Portfolio Selection Models: A Survey", OPSEARCH, Springer, Vol.54, No.3, pp.558-579, 2017
- Sriramulu Bojjagani, V.N.Sastry, "A Secure End-to-End SMS-based Mobile Banking Protocol", International Journal of Communication Systems (IJCS), Wiley, Vol. 30, No. 15, pp.1-19, 2017
- Maurya, A.K. and Sastry, V.N, "Fuzzy Extractor and Elliptic Curve Based Efficient User Authentication Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks and Internet of Things", International Journal of Communication Systems (IJCS), Information, MDPI, Vol. 8, No.4, pp. 1-38, 2017
- Akhter Mohiuddin Rather, Arun Agarwal and V.N. Sastry, "Recurrent Neural Network and a Hybrid Model for Prediction of Stock Returns", Expert Systems with Applications Journal, Vol. 42, Issue 6, pp. 3234-3241, 2015
- Shaik Shakeel Ahamad., V. N. Sastry and Siba K. Udgata, "A Secure and Optimized Proximity Mobile Payment Framework with Formal Verification", International Journal of E-Services and Mobile Applications, Vol.6, No.1, pp.66-92, 2014
- Ahamad, S.S., Sastry, V.N. and Udgata, S.K., "Secure Mobile Payment Framework based on UICC with Formal Verification", International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering, (Special Issue on Future Trends in Security Issues in Internet and Web Applications), Vol. 9, No. 4, pp.355-370, 2014
- Kavitha Ammayappan, Atul Negi and V.N.Sastry, "New Route Discovery Design for Routing Misbehavior Prevention in Multi-hop Wireless Sensor Networks", International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communication System (Special Issues on Recent Advances in Wireless Sensor Networks: Trust, Reputation, Security and Privacy), Vol. 7, No.3, pp.211-238, 2014
- Ahamad, S.S., Sastry, V.N. and Udgata, S.K.,"A Secure Mobile Payment Framework in MANET Environment", International Journal of E-Business Research, Vol.9, No.1, pp.54-84, 2013
- K. Karun Kumar and V. N. Sastry, "A New Algorithm to Compute Pareto-Optimal Paths in a Multi Objective Fuzzy Weighted Network", OPSEARCH (Springer Journal), Vol.50, No.3, pp. 297-318, September 2013
- Shaik Shakeel Ahamad., Sastry, V.N. and Udgata, S.K., "A Secure Mobile Wallet Framework with Formal Verification", International Journal of Advanced Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (IJAPUC), Vol.4, No.2, pp.1-15, 2012
- Ahamad, S.S., Sastry, V.N. and Udgata, S.K., "Secure and Optimized Mobile based Merchant Payment Protocol using Signcryption", International Journal of Information Security and Privacy, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 64-94, 2012
- Shakeel Ahmed Shaik, Udgata S.K., Sastry V.N., "A New Mobile Payment System with Formal Verification", International Journal of Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (IJITST), Vol. 4, No. 1, pp.71–103, 2012
- Kavitha Ammayappan, V.N.Sastry and Atul Negi, "A New Secure Route Discovery Protocol for MANET to Prevent Hidden Channel Attacks", International Journal of Network Security, Vol.14, No.3, pp.121-141, May 2012
- Kavitha Ammayappan, Atul Negi, V. N. Sastry and Ashok Kumar Das, "A New ECC based Two Party Authenticated Key Agreement Protocol for MANETs", Journal of Computers, Vol. 6, No. 9, pp. 2408-2416, 2011.
- Sriramulu Bojjagani and V.N.Sastry, "VAPTAi: A Threat Model for Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing of Android and iOS Mobile Banking Apps", 3rd IEEE International Conference on Collaboration and Internet Computing (IEEE CIC 2017), San Jose, California, USA. pp. 77-86, October 15-17, 2017
- Maurya, A.K and Sastry, V.N., "Secure and Efficient Authenticated Key Exchange Mechanism for Wireless Sensor Networks and Internet of Things using Bloom Filter", 3rd IEEE International Conference on Collaboration and Internet Computing (IEEE CIC 2017), San Jose, California, USA, pp.173-180, October 15 - 17, 2017
- Maurya, A.K., Sastry, V.N., "User Authentication Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks and Internet of Things using Chinese Remainder Theorem", 5thInternational Symposium on Security in Computing and Communications, Manipal, India, pp. 1-16, September 13-16, 2017. (Got Best Paper Award)
- Sriramulu Bojjagani and V.N.Sastry, "STAMBA: Security Testing for Android Mobile Banking Apps", 2nd International Symposium on Signal Processing and Intelligent Recognition Systems (SIRS 2015), Trivandrum, India, pp. 671-683, December 16-19, 2015
- Sriramulu Bojjagani, V.N.Sastry, "SSMBP: A Secure SMS-based Mobile Banking Protocol with Formal Verification", 11th IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications,(WiMob-2015), Abu Dhabi, UAE, pp. 252-259, October 19-21, 2015
- Nenavath Srinivas Naik, Atul Negi, and V. N. Sastry, "Enhancing Performance of MapReduce Framework in Heterogeneous Environments", 21st IEEE International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications (ADCOM), IIT Madras, India, pp.51–54, September 2015
- Anup Kumar Maurya, V.N.Sastry and S.K. Udgata, "Cryptanalysis and Improvement of ECC-based Security Enhanced User Authentication Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks", 3rdInternational Symposium on Security in Computing and Communications (SSCC'15), Springer CCIS 536, pp. 134–145, Kochi, August 10-13, 2015.
- Nenavath Srinivas Naik, Atul Negi and V. N. Sastry, "Enhancing the Performance of MapReduce Default Scheduler by Detecting Prolonged Task Trackers in Heterogeneous Environments", 2nd International Conference on Computer and Communication Technologies (IC3T), CMR Tech., Hyderabad, India, Springer, pp. 225–233, July 2015
- Nenavath Srinivas Naik, Atul Negi and V. N. Sastry, "Performance Improvement of MapReduce Framework by Identifying Slow Task Trackers in Heterogeneous Hadoop Cluster", 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computing, Networking, and Informatics (ICACNI), KIIT, Bhubaneswar, India, Springer, pp.465–473, June 2015
- Nenavath Srinivas Naik, Atul Negi, and V. N. Sastry, "Performance Improvement of MapReduce Framework in Heterogeneous Context using Reinforcement Learning", 2ndInternational Symposium on Big Data and Cloud Computing Challenges (ISBCC),VIT Chennai, India, Procedia Computer Science, Elsevier, Volume 50, pp.169–175, March 2015
- Book Chapters
- V.N.Sastry, "Voice Based Authentication",IDRBT Staff Paper Series on Biometrics, Vol.3, No.1, pp.54-101, October 2017
- V.N.Sastry, "Mobile Cloud Computing",IDRBT Staff Paper Series on Cloud Computing, Vol.2, No.2, pp.58-89, January 2017
- V. N. Sastry,"Risks in Mobile Banking", Risk Management: The New Accelerator, Editors: Dr. B. Yerram Raju and Narsimharao Venuturapalle, Konark Publishers, pp.155-161, 2013
- V. N. Sastry, "Basics of Financial Risk Management", Financial Risk Management, Editors: Dr. S. Mallikharjuna Rao, School of Management Studies, Central University of Hyderabad, DBM, No.430, pp.10-25, 2006
- V. N. Sastry, "Forecasting Techniques", Financial Risk Management, Editors: Dr. S. Mallikharjuna Rao, School of Management Studies, Central University of Hyderabad, DBM, No.430, pp.26-42, 2006.
Back to Faculty Page